The module has four thematic blocks, where key concepts are explained with the support of numerous real-life examples and case studies. Each section ends with a quiz.
Block 1: Building Climate Change Resilience: The Big Picture
Block 2: ICT for Climate Change Mitigation
Block 3: ICT for Climate Change Adaptation
Block 4: ICT for Resilient Development
The key objectives of the module are:
• Awareness raising: Raise awareness on the role of ICT practitioners in addressing the global challenge of climate change;
• Build understanding of key concepts: introduce the concepts of climate resilient development and the applications of ICTs in climate resilient development, adaptation and mitigation; and
• Strengthen integration and partnerships: Highlight linkages between key concepts and the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and strengthen collaborative partnerships between ICT and climate change professionals to achieve climate resilient outcomes.
By the end of this module, participants will:
• Be familiar with climate resilient development and its associated terminologies, including key linkages between climate change and disaster risk management, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and SDGs;
• Be aware of ICT sector’s contributions to the global challenge of climate change, including in reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions;
• Understand how ICTs can be used to achieve climate resilient development in key sectors;
• Understand the key enablers for supporting the application of ICTs in climate resilient development, namely the importance of people, processes, policies and systems; and
• Apply digital applications introduced in the module to real-life situations or scenarios that are relevant to their area of work.