The purpose of the whole Frontier ICTs for Sustainable Development for Digital Leaders module is to provide a technological overview, considerations, potential policy recommendations, and an international cooperation agenda for the adoption of frontier ICTs by digital leaders in developing countries. The aim is to unlock the full potential of frontier ICTs. The submodules focus on three technologies: Artificial Intelligence (AI), Blockchain, and the Internet of Things.
This submodule covers IoT (the Internet of Things), which is recognized as an important means of achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda. However, the use, adoption, and adaptation of the technology are not the same in all countries around the world.
IoT is expected to have a greater impact on sustainable development and is also recognized as an important source of concerns for socio-economic development (especially policymaking) in developing countries.
Therefore, this submodule provides fundamental information, challenges/risks, best practices, policy recommendations, and international cooperation agendas related to IoT that policymakers in developing countries should consider when developing and applying IoT to enable sustainable development through innovation in their public sector and society.
The main objective of the submodule is to provide relevant information, cases, policy
recommendations, and international cooperation agenda(s) to enable national
policymakers to properly apply IoT in achieving the SDGs.
Specifically, this module aims to:
1. Introduce the definition, scope, and features of IoT.
2. Examine the role and importance of IoT in achieving the SDGs.
3. Provide major challenges, barriers, and risks to be considered in developing and introducing IoT.
4. Provide the current status of policies related to IoT and global cases applied in the public sector.
5. Suggest policy recommendations and international cooperation measures for effective and efficient development and application of IoT. This promotes a better understanding of the goals and direction for government policymakers to pursue.