The purpose of the whole Frontier ICTs for Sustainable Development for Digital Leaders module is to provide a technological overview, considerations, potential policy recommendations, and an international cooperation agenda for the adoption of frontier ICTs by digital leaders in developing countries. The aim is to unlock the full potential of frontier ICTs. The submodules focus on three technologies: Artificial Intelligence (AI), Blockchain, and the Internet of Things.
This specific submodule focuses on Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is recognized as an important tool for achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. However, the use, adoption, and adaptation of AI vary across the globe.
AI is expected to have a significant impact on sustainable development and is also recognized as a source of concerns for socio-economic development, particularly in policymaking, within developing countries.
Therefore, this submodule provides fundamental information on the challenges, risks, best practices, policy recommendations, and international cooperation agendas related to AI. Policymakers in developing countries should consider these aspects when developing and implementing AI to enable sustainable development through innovation in their public sector and society.
The main objective of the submodule is to provide relevant information, cases, policy recommendations, and international cooperation agenda(s) to enable national policymakers to properly apply AI on their path of achieving the SDGs. Specifically, this module aims to:
1. Introduce the definition, scope, and features of AI.
2. Examine the role and importance of AI in achieving the SDGs.
3. Present the major challenges, barriers, and risks of developing and introducing AI.
4. Provide the current status of policies related to AI and global cases applied in the public sector.
5. Suggest policy recommendations and international cooperation measures for effective and efficient development and application of AI. This promotes a better understanding of the goals and direction that policymakers within governments can pursue.